Homemade English Muffins

The other day I was making some of Mark Bittman's whole wheat sandwich bread from How to Make Everything, and I realized that the same recipe of dough makes English muffins. We were undecided about what to have for dinner, so I thought maybe a sort of homemade egg McMuffin would be fun. I let the dough rise for hours, deflated the dough, and cut it into 12 pieces. I flattened them into little discs.


Then I spread some cornmeal on a skillet set on low heat and cooked them in batches.


I made sure they were lightly browned (about 15 minutes).


Then we cooked up some bacon and eggs and served it with spinach. I have long fantasized about homemade breakfast sandwiches that are not greasy, but just as delicious as fast food versions, and this really lived up to expectations- especially with some hot sauce and sea salt sprinkled on the eggs.


Then we had quite a bit of English muffins leftover. I wasn't sure we'd be able to finish them in time for them to still be fresh, so I had the idea of English muffin mini pizzas. It turns out Hannaford has these very cool pre-cut pizza toppings. It is fun because you can get a variety of toppings without  committing to any too much.




I melted the toppings on the English muffins under the broiler. That pickled asparagus on the salad is from Shaker Mtn Canning Co. and is very delicious. These turned out great - a dinner a 5 year old could love!

Two dinners based on one recipe of English muffins. Who ever knew they were so easy and delicious to make at home?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TWD, Baking with Julia: Pizza Rustica

French food at Chez Nous, Schenectady

Boca Bistro Bachelorette Party