TWD, Baking with Julia: Blueberry Nectarine Pie

As part of Tuesdays with Dorie, using the book Baking with Julia I made the blueberry nectarine pie. I made it for some friends we were having over for dinner, and even though I just walked in from a trip to the flea market late in the afternoon, I was able to make it in time for when people came over. I thought it was a pretty easy recipe. Everyone really enjoyed the pie and the unexpected combination of blueberries and nectarines.

 Then, after we ate the full size pie I had a good amount of blueberries, nectarines, and pie crust leftover. I decided to make these little handpies to serve at my salad bar party


 To do this I used my tortilla press with small balls of dough. I did the first few by folding the dough around the mixture, but then I realized it was much easier to treat it like a ravioli. I put one piece down, put a spoonful of filling in the middle, laid another piece of dough on top of the whole thing and pressed down on the edges. I can thank my ravioli class for having taught me those skills.


 Then, I brushed them with egg, sprinkled some brown sugar on them, froze them on cookie sheets, and then when they were all frozen, I threw them in a big ziplock bag. When the day of the party came, I was able to just toss them right into the oven after applying a little more egg wash. It was really convenient. I'm a big fan of handheld foods for parties, and I think this ended up being a great variation to do with the leftover supplies.


Check out all the other bakers here!


Comments

  1. The handpies were a cute idea. I'm also impressed you got this pie together in time for your dinner party - there was a lot of resting in this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah I think I actually made the dough the night before. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the hand pie idea for the leftovers - especially if they can be done ravioli style :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful idea.
    They look so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TWD, Baking with Julia: Pizza Rustica

French food at Chez Nous, Schenectady

Boca Bistro Bachelorette Party