Buttermilk Poundcake

I made this to take to our friends' house for 4th of July. It is from the book The Lee Bros. Southern Cookbook. It is so good that when I gave Scott a tiny piece to try he actually got back up to try more. He also called me a genius which was pretty funny. I think what is so good is the flavor from the buttermilk and the nice texture from the brown sugar. It really has a great, tangy, unique flavor.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease and flour a loaf pan. Sift together two times 2 cups cake flour, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon mace (I didn't have so I used pumpkin pie spice).
In a measuring cup whisk together 4 eggs and 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract.
In another bowl, beat together 2 1/2 sticks butter, 1/2 cup light brown sugar, 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, and 2 tablespoons regular sugar. (I think this combination is important for the overall flavor, and I think if you used all dark brown sugar you would overwhelm the flavor of the buttermilk).
Add the egg mixture in one thin stream, and mix until incorporated. Add the flour and 1/2 cup buttermilk in alternating turns. Fold ingredients in with spatula or wooden spoon.
We really love Kate's buttermilk from Maine. Very delicious!
Then pour it into your pan and bake for one hour.
Cool it on a rack in the pan for 15 minutes before turning it out of the pan. Add awesome Fourth of July sprinkles!
I hope people like it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TWD, Baking with Julia: Pizza Rustica

French food at Chez Nous, Schenectady

Boca Bistro Bachelorette Party